Maximize Your Refund Today! Visit SCL Tax Services in the Bronx for Expert Tax Assistance!

How Does Divorce Affect Taxes?

The IRS has changed the tax laws and rules that relate to divorce and separation. If you are divorced or recently separated and facing a divorce, the last thing you want to think about is taxes; however, these major life events can affect it.
Here are some key points to consider so that you can stay compliant with the IRS.

Taxes in divorce process done by SCL Tax Services In & Near Bronx, NY

Alimony & Taxes

If you pay alimony to your spouse or former spouse, those payments are tax-deductible. The recipient of the payments must also include them with their income taxes.
Alimony doesn’t include child support, non-cash property settlements, payments that are part of community property income, and payments intended for property keep up.
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changed the alimony rules. Under the Act, and beginning in January of this year, spouses cannot deduct or add alimony to their tax returns if it was ordered as part of a divorce or separation agreement that was executed after December 31, 2018.
If the divorce or separation agreement was executed before December 31, 2018, and then modified after that date, the new law still applies. Contact the IRS or work with an Enrolled Agent, such as those at SCL Tax Services In & Near Bronx, NY, for details.

Child Support

Child support payments are not deductible on your taxes and cannot be added to your income if you are a recipient of child support.

Spousal IRA

If your final divorce decree or separation agreement is filed by the end of the tax year, you cannot deduct contributions made to your former spouse’s individual retirement account (IRA). However, you may be able to deduct contributions made to your traditional IRA.

Name Changes

If your name changed in your divorce, you are required to notify the Social Security Administration. You can apply for a Social Security Card using File Form SS-5, which you can get on or by calling (800) 772-1213. The name listed on your tax return must match the SSA records. If your name is mismatched, you could face problems when it comes to processing your tax return. If you are owed a tax refund, that payment may also be delayed if your name doesn’t match.

Health Care Laws

Health Care & Divorce or Separation

The health care law states that you must have qualifying health care coverage, or qualify for an exemption, or make a shared responsibility payment. If you lose your health insurance coverage in your divorce, you are still required to have coverage each year for yourself and any dependents you claim on your tax returns. Losing your health care coverage due to divorce is considered a qualifying life event. This allows you to enroll in health care coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace during the enrollment period.

Changes in Your Circumstances

If you purchase healthcare coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you may be able to take advantage of advanced payments of the premium tax credit for the tax year 2018. You can report your changes in circumstances to the Marketplace throughout the year. For instance, if you were divorced, your name changed, or your income and family size changed. Reporting these changes will help to ensure you get the proper type and amount of financial help. You can also avoid getting too much or too little tax credit.

Shared Policy Allocation Rules

If you were divorced or legally separated from your spouse, but you were enrolled in the same qualified health plan, you and your spouse must allocate your policy amounts on each of your separate tax returns. This allows you to figure your premium tax credits and reconcile advance payments that may have been made on your behalf.

Contact SCL Tax Services Serving You in and Near Bronx, New York for Tax Assistance

If you are considering divorce, are recently separated or currently going through a divorce, you may have questions about your tax status and liabilities. Contact  SCL’s tax professionals, now helping clients in and near Bronx, Eastchester, Westchester, Mount Vernon, and Yonkers, NY. As Enrolled Agents, we can help clients throughout the country alleviate their IRS issues and minimize their tax burdens.
You can fill the form below or call now at +1-347-305-4348 for a free 15-minute tax consultation. We will help you stay tax compliant following your divorce or separation.

Need Tax help?

We are here to relieve you of the tax pressure by offering a wide range of Tax Services In & Near Bronx, NY. If you need expert advice or need us to complete your taxes, we will provide it for you. We know you work hard, so we work hard to serve your needs.

Your time is valuable, which is why we are here for you.
Contact us